Sunday 22 April 2012

500 word Analysis of my Roles in Production

Pre-Production
During the pre-production stages of creating “Grimm”, I created the questionnaires that enabled me to decide what my children’s TV drama would be, I also conducted secondary research using websites like BARB and youtube, to watch different opening credits, and decide on content. Because of what I found on BARB, I decided to create a live-action drama aimed at children between the ages of ten and fourteen. I also decided that “Grimm” would be broadcast on the BBC on a Sunday afternoon, as it seemed to me that it would be more of a family drama. I also did all the pre-production paperwork and decided on what mise-en-scene I was going to use to create the aesthetic that I wanted for “Grimm”. I believe that my role in the pre-production was effective as, in my opinion, through research and pre-production I created quite an effective production overall.

Production
During the production stages of the creation of “Grimm”, I filled the roles of both camera-operator and director. I feel that this enabled me to have the exact shots that I wanted, be as exact as was possible. I also had to fix problems that we encountered on the scheduled days of filming, for example, I had to change locations as it wasn’t possible to film in the original desired location. However, I think that the location that was finally used for “Grimm” was just as, if not more effective in creating the desired effect then the originally planned location. 

Post-Production
During post-production I encountered a lot of problems, for example, the was a corrupted frame in “Grimm” in the shot of Snow White’s arm on the ground, that was stopping the film from being exported or burnt to disc. I had to decide whether to re-shoot that shot or to use a freeze-frame instead of a live-action shot. I decided eventually to use a still,  I think that this worked quite well and wasn’t too noticeable, and didn’t take away from the production as a whole. I also had to chose a soundtrack that would work with the mise-en-scene and general aesthetic of “Grimm”, I believe that the track that I used was perfect for “Grimm” as it has a fairy tale feel to it and isn’t too fast, as the opening credits are fairly slow.   

Evaluation
Overall, I am extremely happy with “Grimm”, and my performance in the roles of production. I was able to make important executive decisions that had direct results on the outcome of the production. I also managed to create an effective opening sequence, that would appeal directly to the target audience that I intended. If there was anything that I was going to change or improve, I would make “Grimm” more fast-paced as I believe that this would appeal to a wider audience overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment