Thursday 2 February 2012

Evaluation 1

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
Grimm uses the conventions of real Children’s TV Dramas as it is based on fairy tales and has a fairly fantastic theme.  This means that children aged between 10 and 14 will find it easier to relate to the programme as it is stories that they’ve know their whole life, but told in a different way. I also feel that it uses the convention of Children’s Dramas aiming to instill morality into the audience; I feel that ‘Grimm’ and the Grimm fairy tales are perfect for this as they are almost exclusively based on morality stories. I think that ‘Grimm’ develops conventions by making the fairy tales slightly more “grown up”, as it is aimed at older children, I feel that the fact that it is more adult in its content means that older children will be more attracted to watching it as they would feel  grown up.  I also feel that as the characters in ‘Grimm’ are fairly young; children will also find them easier to relate to.  I feel that ‘Grimm’ challenges conventions by not “sugar-coating” the fairy tales, it isn’t as protective as other TV Dramas and I think that this would be refreshing for children. It is also not based in comedy as most Children’s TV Dramas, for example, iCarly, Victorious and Hannah Montana, as these are aimed at the same age group as ‘Grimm’. I also believe that ‘Grimm’ challenges conventions as it could be a programme that the whole family could sit down together and watch.

Grimm challenges the conventions of modern children's TV dramas by being quite slow and calm, it is reminiscent of children's 'sunday afternoon' dramas of the 1970s/80s, this is why I chose to reinvent the convention. I created this effect by using pre-MTV slightly slower editing techniques, and therefore slowing the entire pace of the opening sequence. I used inspiration from feature film trailers, for example "The Box (Kelly,2009) in regards to the use of text throughout the sequence.


The Box trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFHa-ygkF_M

No comments:

Post a Comment